Welcome to 1st Grade!
Teacher: Mrs. Suzan Cullinan
From Mrs. Cullinan:
"Even though my children were born after I started teaching at Holy Family, I knew it was the place for them. There is such a feeling of family and a well rounded education."
Five Words to Describe Holy Family School:
Some of the units of study in First Grade:
- Math- families of related addition and subtraction facts
- Science- 3 types of matter
- Social Studies- cities
- Winter literature and winter themed activities in literacy groups
- Teddy Bear visits every student's house overnight. His activities while there are recorded in his journal and shared with the entire class each morning.
- Apples / Johnny Appleseed
- Thanksgiving - every child receives the actual name of a child of the Mayflower. We learn about the voyage and their first year in America and write about it in journals.
- Gingerbread Boy - We read many versions and discuss the story elements of setting, characters, his saying as he runs, and the ending.
- Winter / Snow - a variety of math activities are presented and the students can select any they want to do until they finish them all.
- 100th Day project
- Dr. Seuss month - We learn about the author and read many of his books. We discuss each and learn the moral or lesson of each.
- Other Author studies - Tomie dePaola, Jan Brett, James Marshall, Robert Munsch, and Eric Carle
- Coding for Kids
- Spelling City on iPads
- Math Magician on Chromebooks